Young America Blog » March 2014
Get Your Security Deposit Back!
How to get your security deposit back
Residents living with Young America are required to put down a security deposit upon signing a lease. I have developed a list of key points to ensure the return of your deposit! Most importantly, remember to keep your room in move-in condition before vacating the property. Also, don’t forget to look on your portal and make sure you have a zero balance listed. If rent is not caught up or additional charges are still on your account we will be taking that dollar amount from your security deposit. However, if the charges exceed the deposit you are still liable to pay them! Below I have a list of damages and cleaning points that should be handled properly.
- EXCESSIVE DAMAGE TO YOUR UNIT WILL BE VIEWED AS CRIMINAL DAMAGE TO PROPERTY. LAW ENFORCEMENT WILL GET INVOLVED AND CHARGES ABOVE $300 WILL BE TREATED AS A FELONY, BY LAW. IF YOU CHOOSE TO DAMAGE OR VANDALIZE YOUR APARTMENT YOU WILL HAVE A FELONY CRIMINAL RECORD FOLLOW YOU THROUGH LIFE.
- Damage to the apartment will be compared against the move-in inspection that you were required to complete upon move-in last year. If you did not complete this inspection. Then all damage will be charged to your account.
- Damage to carpet (burns, stains, bleach, rips, cuts, etc) will be assessed to your account.
- Damage to carpet and/or vinyl will be charged to your account.
- Damage to televisions (repair or replace) will be charged to your account.
- Drywall / paint repairs (including repainting resident paint projects) will be charged to your account.
- Missing television remotes will be charged to your account.
- Do not unplug or turn off the refrigerator or turn off any breakers! Un-cleaned refrigerators that are unplugged will rot and the entire fridge will likely need to be thrown away. The cost of refrigerator will be charged to your account.
- Living room: Clean walls and wood trim. Vacuum carpet and clean floor. Clean windows and sills. Clean blinds. Clean ceiling fans. Clean furniture couch/chair. Smoke detectors must not be missing or removed. Remove all trash.
- Kitchen: Clean walls and wood trim. Clean countertops/tile. Clean shelves/drawers/cabinets. Clean burners/oven/broiler. Clean floor and mop. Clean refrigerator (but DO NOT unplug it). Clean microwave. Smoke detectors must not be missing or removed. Remove all trash.
- Each bedroom: Clean walls and wood trim. Vacuum and clean floors. Clean windows and sills. Clean light fixtures and heater. Leave beds assembled and in place. Clean blinds. Clean furniture. Clean desk/closets out. Clean/vacuum carpet. Smoke detectors must not be missing or removed. Remove all trash.
- Clean bathrooms fully! Top to bottom! Mop floors, wipe all surfaces. No mildew or shower scum remaining.
- If you have a lock on your bedroom door (which either came with the apartment, or one you specifically requested from out maintenance department) you must leave the key in the knob/lever upon move out. If the key is not in the door knob/ lever, your account will be charged.
- If you have a lock on your bedroom door that was not authorized by Young America, we will remove the lock and your account will be charged.
- All other keys, including apartment keys, mailbox keys, security door keys, elevator keys, laundry room keys, and key fobs MUST be returned to our office. A key return form must be completed in your name with a forwarding address or your account will be charged $25 per key and $100 per key fob not returned.
- Unpaid charges to your account such as rent or late fees must be paid, or your security deposit will be applied to these charges
- Similarly, on a joint lease, your roommate’s payments must be fully paid, or your security deposit may be applied to the account of a jointly responsible roommate.
Follow these guidelines and you’ll be well on your way to receiving your full security deposit! Even if you decide to renew your apartment Young America will still inspect your apartment for any damages. Make sure to keep a clean apartment and have a zero balance on your account!
For any further questions regarding your security deposit please feel free to contact a leasing agent at:
- [email protected]